Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mt. Splashmore

Today I was lamenting that my sweet, happy-go-lucky boy has turned into a demanding toddler who is just kind of whiny when he doesn't get what he wants RIGHT NOW.  This change seems to have occurred in the last week.  When he sees me holding my cell phone, he expects me to show him google images of fire trucks, school buses, etc.  He starts saying the word "more" repetitively, getting louder and more demanding.  "Muh muh muh muh muh MUH MUH MUH MUH MUH."   If I try to talk over him, he gets louder.  My mom visited last weekend, so she can vouch for the quantity of "muhs" we hear around here.  Sometimes he gets on a roll in the kitchen, and we don't even know what he wants.  He just says it dozens of times in a row without tiring.   It reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Bart and Lisa beg Homer to take them to Mt. Splashmore.

Marcos doesn't play this game so he is left in peace, like Marge.
(Wow, this was episode #31 and now they are advertising episode 500.  It aired before my little brother Robert was born!!!)

Maybe I am exaggerating because today was worse than usual.  He actually started to cry when I ignored  him.  I think he must be tired, and I also think I saw new teeth coming through on the top.  Emmy usually reports that he was great during the day, so I guess he's just tired by the time I get home. He still seems pretty good and tantrum-free compared to other kids I hear about.  (He still has not had an episode where he thrashes on the floor and refuses consoling/logic).  I just hope he doesn't turn into a 2-year-old monster in the next six months.

Here's a pic of the boy trying on my grandmother's ring last weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Garrett went through that about 18-22 months. It got so bad that I was afraid to take him anywhere. He is so much better now. So there is hope. My mom always said the same the thing about Garrett. He was perfect until I walked through the door. It is supposed to be a compliment, that they want our attention. I could do without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to hear, Beth! You are right, they reserve this behavior for us lucky Moms. I guess it's a pretty frustrating time in their lives because they can't express themselves very well and they can't do the things they want to be able to do by themselves. Since I wrote this most days have been better, so that's a relief.

    ReplyDelete