Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Temper Tantrum?

I think Dominic is experimenting with temper tantrums.  Giving them a whirl to see if they're any good.  I wish someone had taken video of this afternoon's episode.  Here is how it went: I was sitting on the couch watching Dominic play with some toys.  He was trying to put a fire truck into the door of his barn toy, and he could not get it to fit.  He tossed the fire truck down onto the floor, visibly frustrated.  I said in a calm but serious tone, "Do not throw your toys."  He looked at me.  Then he picked the fire truck up, and flung it behind him.  It landed on the couch.  I said in a stern and louder tone, "DO NOT throw your toys."  He looked at me again, and then ran crying into the wall on the opposite side of the room.  Still crying, he turned around and ran toward me with his arms up, and I pulled him onto my lap.  He buried his face in my shoulder and continued to cry.  After about 30 seconds, I calmly said, "Dominic, you're not even sad.  Nothing happened."  He immediately stopped crying, got down from my lap, and went back to the coffee table to play with other toys. 

In the past few weeks, there have been several instances where he acts angry and throws things, but he seems like he is faking it to gauge my reaction. Last weekend he was playing with his crayons, which mostly involves taking them out of a small box and putting them back in.  For no apparent reason, he suddenly threw them on the floor, one by one.  He acted angry, but I didn't see anything happen to cause him to be mad or frustrated.  I calmly told him that he needed to pick them back up.  He gave me an angry look and ran out of the room crying.  Before I could even finish picking them up (they then disappeared into my closet) he was back in the living room acting normal.  We talked about how he made Mama mad and there would be no more crayons for awhile.  It made me wonder if he observed a kid at school doing something similar, and thought he'd give it a try.  It seems kind of comical.  We have been trying to react calmly and ignore them; I hope that's a good strategy.  Nothing has happened in public. It seems like he does it at home when he's bored.


3 comments:

  1. Great Write-up Bets! I like how you give us the play by play. And I see it in my head so clearly. Best line, 'Dominic, you're not even sad. Nothing happened.' HAHAHA! I think you could write your own book on toddler stories, I'd read that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would read it too! man I miss that kid, even his 'tude. and you guys too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what the blog is for! ;)

    ReplyDelete