Friday, September 21, 2012

Negative Feedback

We had a first at school today - we got a little bit of bad news about the boy's behavior!


Marcos and I went to pick Dominic up together.  Ms. Beth was doing circle time with the class when we got there.  Dominic ran to get his water cup when he saw us, and then came to me to be picked up (because it's not enough that I'm carrying 25 pounds of extra weight already).  Ms. Beth  stopped what she was doing and said something along the lines of, "I really hate to have to repeat something negative from today, and we really love having Dominic in our class, but...."  She went on to tell us that he scratched someone kind of badly, but she saw him observe another kid doing it earlier in the day so she knew he was repeating what he saw.  And he also grabbed some kids' shirts (it sounded like this happened more than once!) pretty forcefully when he wanted something they had.  Eeek!

She told us that she talked to him and he's learning that it hurts people when you scratch them. And she suggested that we just talk to him about it and remind him in the mornings before school about how he needs to behave.

Wow. I have to say this was totally unexpected. We rarely get to see Dominic interact with other kids, and he has NEVER scratched us or acted physically aggressive to get something.  I was also very surprised by how worried he was about me and Marcos being mad.  As we were getting out of the car, I could tell he was watching Marcos' every move and waiting for him to say something.  It seemed like just what you'd expect from an older boy who'd been in trouble a hundred times and wondered what Dad was going to do this time!  When we got inside, we talked about it a little and he acted pretty timid and ashamed.  I think he really, really hates for people to be disappointed in him.  Marcos told him he cannot scratch people and he can't pull on their shirt.  Dominic sat by me on the couch for several minutes, and I tried to move on and get him to play with some toys, but he wouldn't have it.  I asked if he wanted to go say sorry to Dada.  He ran to the bedroom where Marcos was, and said "Sorry, Dada" about 5 times in a row.  Then he ran back to me, climbed in my lap and said "Sorry, Mama" over and over.  I gave him a hug and in an attempt to change the subject, talked about how Harper has a new baby sister.  I asked if he wanted to give his sister a kiss and he said "Sorry, Sister" about 3 times!  Poor boy. I told him he doesn't have to say sorry to sister!

The rest of the evening, whenever I would bring up school (I always talk to him about what he did, what he ate, who he played with), he looked nervous like we were going to talk about the incident again. 

He's really sensitive about people getting hurt - he talks about kids at school that were sad, and I've seen him trying to hug sad kids lots of times.  We built a house out of blocks for his toy Bert (of Bert and Ernie) the other day.  He accidentally knocked the whole thing over, and sobbed and started hugging and kissing Bert profusely.  I think he felt bad that 2 inch plastic Bert had a house come toppling down on him! 

My point is, I hope his sensitivity helps him remember not to act badly again! 

9 comments:

  1. Poor Dominic, he has the burden of being the oldest and bearing the family name out into the public. I wouldn't address it with him again unless you hear more from the teacher - sheesh. He's going to need a therapist ;-)
    (Incidentally, your dad can't post comments because he doesn't have (or want) any of the required accounts. Otherwise, he would have been, many times- Lucy, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Mom! I'm happy to report that Ms. Beth said he had a GREAT day today. :) Yay!

      Delete
  2. This breaks my little heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because your little D is now a big, mean toddler... or because he took it so hard? Just kidding. :( I think he's way too sweet to make this behavior a habit.

      Delete
    2. I feel so bad for him!

      Delete
  3. Tough to hear, but the photo you chose for this post makes me think "...From the files of Police Squad..." it also makes me chuckle a bit. After reading the story, then looking back at the pic, there's so many captions that can be placed here:
    "Have you seen this toddler?!"
    "I was framed!"
    "Subject: Dominic Morales Age: 2 Height: Not very Alleged Crime: Scratching...not the itching kind."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love the last one.

      I love this picture. I wasn't thinking of it as a big mean bully picture, but that's what Marcos said it looks like.

      Delete
    2. It does have a little "so, you want a piece of me?" about it ;-)

      Delete
    3. no I think he looks like he was framed.

      Delete